Volunteer and Scholarship Opportunities
Exciting Volunteer Opportunities in Canton
Meaningful volunteer work is a rewarding experience. Volunteering allows you to develop new skills and make new friends. Many organizations serve the Canton community and welcome volunteers to assist with their programs and activities. If you are looking for fun and fulfilling volunteer opportunities in the Canton community, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5191.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Applications
- Senior Summit
- Brews, Brats and Bands
- CLS Volunteer Opportunities
- VOLUNTEER TRAINING
- Other Community Service Opportunities
Click the appropriate Volunteer Application below. If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5360.
If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Name of Event: Senior Summit
Event Date: Friday, September 15
SHIFTS JOB TASKS
7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Check-in
8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Registration
8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Welcome Table/Greeter
8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Programs
8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Workshop Monitors
8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Help with Breakfast
11:45 a.m. - 2 p.m. Help with Lunches, Bingo & Clean-Up
Brief Description of Event: The Senior Summit will feature a wide array of informational booths and presentations geared toward seniors. Breakfast and lunch will also be served to participants.
Attire/Special Instructions: Check-in at the Summit on the Park Banquet Center. Wear comfortable shoes.
Contact Person: Heather VanHartesveldt
On-Site Contact Person: Jenni Galazka
Name of Event: Brew, Brats and Bands
Event Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
Shift Time: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Location: Preservation Park, 500 N. Ridge Road, Canton, MI 48188
Brief Description of Event: Craft beer tasting event for the 21 and over crowd at Preservation Park. Proceeds from the event will support the Canton Cares Fund and the Village Arts Factory.
Type of tasks volunteers will be asked to do:
• Pour samples of craft beer
• Assist distributors
• Work in the kitchen, serving brats
• Help with clean-up
Attire/Special Instructions: Volunteers must be 21 years of age or older. Casual attire and comfortable shoes are a must.
Contact Person: Heather VanHartesveldt
On-Site Contact Person: Kevin Ryan and Laura Mortier
Leisure Services Volunteer Opportunities
- Canton Club 55+
- Local Non-Profit Agencies
- Meals on Wheels
- Pheasant Run Golf Club: Ages 18+
- Village Theater Volunteer Usher: Ages 18+
Summer (June - September)
- Farmers Market
- Liberty Fest: Rotary Club Beverage Tent
- Liberty Fest: Canton Lions Pancake Breakfast
- Liberty Fest: Information Booth Greeter
- Liberty Fest: 5K/10K Run and Walk
- Thursday Night LIVE Concert Series
- Rally on Ridge
- Conquer the Park
- Family Field Day
- Historical Society - Brews, Brats and Bands at the Barn
Fall (October - December)
- Canton Goodfellows Gift Sorting
- Canton Goodfellows Food Collection
- Trick or Treat Story Trail
- Turkey Trot
- Breakfast with Santa
Winter (January - February)
- Butterfly Ball Daddy-Daughter Dance
Spring (March - May)
- Easter Bunny Breakfast
- Parent to Parent Sale
- Spring Fling (Mother-Son Dance)
- Farmers Market
- Indoor Triathlon
- Youth Basketball League
- Rookie Baseball Program
- Senior Summit
Volunteer Date: TBA
Place: Canton Administration Building
1150 S. Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
Brief Description of Event: All Canton volunteers are requested to attend at least one volunteer training per year. Staff will discuss Canton Leisure Services policies and procedures, event information, customer service expectations, and emergency information.
Volunteers should attend, if they have not come to a prior training session and would like to volunteers for the following events:
- Butterfly Ball – February
- Parent to Parent Sale Setup and Event – May
- Easter Bunny Breakfast - March/April
- Easter/Spring Eggstravaganza - March/April
- Liberty Fest - June
- Trick or Treat Parade – October
- Turkey Trot – November
- Breakfast with Santa – December
- Tree Lighting – December
- Canton Goodfellows Food Drive – November
- Canton Goodfellows Gift Collection & Sorting Project – December
- TEFAP – Ongoing opportunity
Registration required: To register or for additional information. To Volunteer Contact: Heather at 734/394-5191 or by firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Service Opportunities
The following organizations serve the Canton Community and welcome volunteers to assist with their programs and activities. Canton Leisure Services provides this information as a resource for those seeking additional volunteer opportunities, and does not arrange volunteers for these organizations. Anyone interested in volunteering with the below organizations must contact them directly.
- Canton Historical Museum: 734/765-6704
- Canton Commission for Culture, Arts, & Heritage: 734/394-5362
- Plymouth Symphony: 734/451-2112
- Capuchin Soup Kitchen: 313/579-2100
- Gleaners: 313/923-3535
- Harvest Loves Food Pantry: 734/895-3280 ext. 3
- Open Door Food Ministry: 734/397-1777 ext. 201
Human Service Agencies/Organizations
- American Cancer Society: 248/663-3489
- American Red Cross: 313/494-2862
- Angela Hospice: 734/464-7810
- Beaumont Hospital Wayne: 734/467-4183
- Beacon Hospice of Michigan: 734-238-3133
- Canton Community Foundation: 734/495-1200
- Compassionate Care Hospice: 734/983-9050
- First Step: 734/416-1111
- FISH of Plymouth-Canton:734/480-3940
- Growth Works: 734/495-3074
- Habitat for Humanity: 734/459-7744
- Michigan Humane Society: 734/721-7300 ext. 6
- Muscular Dystrophy Association: 734/416-7076
- Passages Hospice: 734/744-5091
- PBJ Outreach: PBJ
- Plymouth-Canton Clothing Bank: 734/416-6179
- Plymouth-Canton Optimist Club: 734/502-5776
- Salvation Army: 734/453-5464
- Special Olympics: 734/721-0418
- St. Joseph Mercy Health Service: 734/712-4159
- United Home Health Service: 734/981-8820
- United Way Community Services: 313/563-3900
- United Way Plymouth: 734/453-6879
- Veterans Administration: 1-800/827-1000
- Wayne County Family Center: 734/721-0590
- Canton Public Library: 734/397-0999
- Plymouth District Library: 734/453-0750
- Alzheimer's Association: 734/369-2716
- Canton Place: 734/981-6420
- MI Office of Service to the Aging: 517/373-8230
- Senior Alliance: 734/722-2830
- Waltonwood Carriage Park: 734/844-3060
- Waltonwood Cherry Hill: 734/981-7100
- Business & Professional Women: 313/729-6744
- Civitans: 734/981-7259
- Kiwanis Club: 734/812-3153
- Lions Club: 734/945-5137
- Plymouth Canton Jaycees: 734/453-8407
- Rotary Club of Canton: 734/986-1436
- Community Literacy Council: 734/589-0011
- Plymouth-Canton Community Schools: 734/416-2700
Youth and Recreation
- Boy Scouts of America: 313/897-1965
- Girl Scouts: 1-800/482-6734
Applications & Information
- Organizations Looking for Volunteers (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Volunteer Application for Adults (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Volunteer Application for Youth (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Canton Township volunteers are required to attend training a minimum of one time per year. The training provides volunteers with information about upcoming events, customer service, and emergency preparedness. All registered volunteers will be emailed of upcoming volunteer training dates.
Meals on Wheels and Pheasant Run Golf Club Volunteers
For positions requiring driving, volunteers' driving records will be verified as part of their Volunteer Application. For additional information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5191.
When financial circumstances create a barrier for participation, Canton residents may be eligible to apply for a Canton Leisure Services Scholarship, which can be applied towards Leisure Services classes and programs. Recipients may receive up to $500 per individual in a calendar year.
Please note that children currently in foster care and residing in Canton are also eligible for up to $500 in financial support in a calendar year. Formal documentation will need to be provided.
- Canton Leisure Services Scholarship Information and Application (PDF) Opens in New Window
- If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens in New Window .
In addition to Volunteer positions, Canton Township has a variety of full-time, part-time and seasonal positions available. For more information on current employment opportunities, please visit the Human Resources page.