Community involvement is key to the success of Canton Township and to Leisure Services. The Leisure Services department partners with several community boards, foundations and other local organizations to help us meet the recreational needs of the Canton community. Many of our community partners offer high quality programs and events, as well as opportunities to volunteer and give back. Please check back regularly for upcoming events and new opportunities.
Learn more about all that Canton Leisure Services has to offer in our Accreditation Video.
- Citizen Advisory Boards
- Giving & Donations
- Public Input Opportunities
- Special Events
- Student Involvement
- Volunteer Opportunities
Citizen Advisory Boards
Canton Township committees and commissions help shape the future of our community by serving in an advisory capacity to the Township's departments and Township Board. Those interested in serving in a voluntary capacity on a committee or a commission can learn more from the Board Website or by calling 734/394-5185.
- Board of Election Commissioners
- Board of Trustees
- Building Authority
- Building Board of Appeals
- Commission for Culture, Arts, and Heritage
- Community Development Block Grant Advisory Council
- Canton Historical Society
- Downtown Development Authority Board
- Historic District Commission
- Leisure Services Advisory Committee
- Merit Commission
- Planning Commission
- Senior Advisory Council
- Tax Board of Review
- Youth Advisory Council
- Zoning Board of Appeals
Foundations, Planned Giving, and Memorials
There are many ways that you can support Parks & Recreation. Opportunities to support Canton programs are as diverse and numerous as the programs themselves. With projects and initiatives in sending children with disabilities to camp, the arts, youth leadership, adding beauty to local parks, and more, we can reach further with your support.
Individuals looking to leave a lasting legacy or gift are encouraged to contact the Leisure Services Administration Office at 734/394-5360 or email Canton Leisure Services.
- Camp A.B.L.E. Fund Opens a New Window.
- Canton Cares Opens a New Window.
- Canton Trail Fund Opens a New Window.
- Canton Youth Advisory Council Fund Opens a New Window.
- Commemorative Tree and Bench Program
- #LeadLikeAGirl Scholarship Opens a New Window.
- Marion and Jerry Rozum Family Fund Opens a New Window.
- Senior Center: Canton's Club 55+ Senior Center appreciates the support of its services to Canton's senior population. To learn more about how you can support their efforts, please call 734/394-5485 or email Canton Club 55+.
- Village Theater Seat Sponsor: to learn more about the upcoming Seat Sponsorship opportunity please contact the Performing Arts Coordinator at 734/394-5300 or email Canton Leisure Services.
- General Donations: To learn more about how to make a gift or donation to Canton Leisure Services parks, programs or facilities, please contact the Administration Office at 734/394-5360 or email Canton Leisure Services.
Public Input Opportunities
Canton Leisure Services regularly seeks community input on its parks, programs and facilities. The feedback gained from the surveys and focus groups helps to guide the direction of the department. Canton invites residents to provide ongoing feedback in person, through email at Canton Leisure Services or by calling 734/394-5360.
Every five years Leisure Services completes a Community Wide Attitude and Interest Survey, as well as a Park Master Plan. The next Community Wide Attitude and Interest Survey will be distributed in 2019. Your input in these and other plans, helps to shape the future of the community.
- General Comments: email Canton Leisure Services or call 734/394-5360
- No current focus groups
- No current surveys
There are many community events that are made possible by citizen involvement. If you would like to be involved in these or other philanthropic opportunities, please email Canton Leisure Services or call 734/394-5360.
- National Day of Service-Do Good Festival: September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance was originally launched to promote community service as an annual and forward-looking tribute to the 9/11 victims, survivors, and those who rose up in service in response to this tragedy. Canton Leisure Services is proud to support these efforts, and is excited to welcome back this 2nd Annual event aimed at connecting caring individuals with non-profit and service groups who rely on community support. Whether you’re looking to take part in a small service project at the event, connect with a service organization seeking funds or volunteers, or make a donation from your closet or pantry, this event is designed to put some good back out there!
- 2021 Date TBA
- Frog & Toad Survey: The Rouge River Watershed Frog & Toad Survey is a volunteer listening survey. Volunteers are trained to distinguish the breeding calls of the seven frogs and one toad found in the watershed. Surveyors choose a quarter square mile area within the watershed that they survey independently on warm spring nights. Volunteers attend a two hour training workshop in the spring where they are instructed on frogs and toads of the watershed, their calls and how to survey. To learn more visit the Friends of the Rouge Website.
- National Night Out: Area residents are invited to spend a special evening celebrating National Night Out in Heritage Park. Join Canton Public Safety, Canton Public Library, Canton Response to Hate Crime Coalition, and Canton Leisure Services for this free event that will also feature ’Not in Our Town’ programming.
- 2021 Date TBA
- River Day: Each year in May, Canton partners with the Friends of the Rouge to conduct a clean-up date and educational event at the Lower Rouge Trail. Activities include trail clean-up, plantings, and nature activities/demonstrations. For the current event information visit the River Day Webpage.
- 2021 Date TBA
Canton partners with many charitable organizations to conduct philanthropic events. To learn more about these and other ways to get involved, please email Partner Events or call 734/394-5191.
- Canton Fire Department: Fundraiser Meal at Liberty Fest
- Canton Goodfellows: No Child Without a Christmas and Charity Run
- Canton Lions: Pancake Breakfast at Liberty Fest
- Relay for Life
- Canton Rotary: Fundraiser at Liberty Fest
Young people are invited to get involved in the Canton community through a variety of volunteer opportunities and through the Youth Advisory Council.
Volunteering at special events and programs is a great way to give back to the community, expand your skill set, and earn service hours. For a complete list of volunteer opportunities visit our Volunteer Webpage or call 734/394-5360.
Youth Advisory Council
The Youth Advisory Council (Y.A.C.) continues to assert itself as an influential group of high school students who truly make a difference in their community. Members participate in community service projects, lead special events, participate in local decision making, and award annual grants to organizations that benefit Canton Youth. To learn more visit our B.L.O.C.K. Webpage or call 734/398-5570.
Annually over 5,000 volunteers contribute over 22,000 hours at a variety of Canton Leisure Services and community projects. In addition to Canton Township events, Leisure Services partners with over twenty-five area non-profit organizations to recruit volunteers for projects. To learn more about how you can make a difference in Canton, visit our Volunteer Webpage or call 734/394-5360.