Club 55+ Activities and Events
Canton Club 55+ is located in the Parkview Room of Summit on the Park Community Center.
- Monthly Newsletter: features all of the activities, events and things taking place within Club 55+.
- Discover Brochure: all Canton Leisure Services programs, classes, events and services are included in the bi-annual Discover program brochure. Offerings are available for all ages and interests.
- Registration: program registration is available online and at the Summit on the Park front desk.
Additional Program Information
Many of our programs are offered at a low cost. Each program will have the registration fee made available to you in the Discover Brochure or by calling 734/394-5485.
- Cards & Games
- Health & Fitness
- Sewing and Crafts
- Special Events
- Wii Bowling Leagues
Canton adults, age 55+, can enjoy drop-in pool playing during Parkview hours. No reservation necessary. Some equipment is provided. Please register at the Club 55+ front desk. Space is limited.
- Dates/Times: Monday - Sunday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk or 734/394-5485
Club 55+ Bingo
Bingo takes place approximately one time per month and is sponsored by American House. This program is designed for individuals 55+ years. For more information or to register, please call 734/394-5485 or complete Online Regist
- July 18 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- August 15 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- September 19 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- October 17 from 2:30-3:30pm
- January 16 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- February 20 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
|Duplicate Bridge||Mondays||6:15 pm|
|Open Cards||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Open Bridge||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Evening Cards||Thursdays||6 pm|
|Cards & Games||Saturday (3rd only)||11:00am|
At Summit on the Park we offer a number of different fitness classes for members and non members. Below is a sample of some of the classes we offer.
- Beginner Yoga: Various Days and Times
- Gentle Yoga: Thursdays 9:30 am
- Fit 4 Life: Tuesdays & Fridays 10:30 am
- Tai Chi: Mondays 11:30am
- Zumba Gold with Toning: Wednesdays 10:30 am
- A Matter of Balance Workshop Series: This 8 week workshop meets once a week and is presented by The Senior Alliance. This program is designed to teach participants to: view falls as controllable, set goals for increasing activity, make changes to reduce fall risks at home and exercise strength and balance. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
Registration Deadline: TBA
Enjoy a monthly cinematic feature with friends. Movies start at 1:00pm in the PDC room. Please bring a sweater with you in case the room is chilly. Snacks sponsored by Regency of Canton. Please register for a spot not later than the day before the movie.
July 11th: Darketst Hour
During the early days of World War II, with the fall of France imminent, Britain faces its darkest hour as the threat of invasion looms. As the seemingly unstoppable Nazi forces advance, and with the Allied army cornered on the beaches of Dunkirk, the fate of Western Europe hangs on the leadership of the newly-appointed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Academy Award nominee Gary Oldman). While maneuvering his political rivals, he must confront the ultimate choice: negotiate with Hitler and save the British people at a terrible cost or rally the nation and fight on against incredible odds. 125 Minutes
August 8th: The PostPG-13 Drama/Thriller
Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers - and their very freedom - to help bring long-buried truths to light. 117 Minutes
September 12th: I Can Only Imagine
Growing up in Greenville, Texas, Bart Millard suffers physical and emotional abuse at the hands of his father, Arthur. When Arthur becomes terminally ill, he finds redemption by embracing his faith and rediscovering his love for his son. Years later, Bart's troubled childhood and mended relationship with his dad inspires him to write the hit song "I Can Only Imagine" as singer of the Christian band MercyMe.111 Minute
October 10th: The Greatest Showman
Inspired by the imagination of P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business & tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation. 105 Minutes
Sewing and Crafts
Canton Leisure Services has many wonderful groups that meet to sew and complete crafts. These are great social opportunities and a chance to ask others for ideas.
- Afghan/Dishcloth Club: meets every Tuesday 9 am - 2 pm. Location: Summit on the Park
- Coloring Club: meets every Thursday 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Handcrafters: meets weekly on Thursdays 9:30 - 11:30 am
*This program goes on hiatus in the summer.
- It's In the Bag: meets on Tuesdays 12:30 - 3:30 pm the 4th Tuesday of each month. Location: Summit on the Park
- Little Stitches of Hope: will be meeting October 9, 2018 & February 12 from 9 am - 1pm
- Woodcarving: meets weekly on Tuesdays 9 - 11:15 am. Location: Summit on the Park
Make & Take: Let's Get CreativeGet your creative juices flowing. Join us for a specialty workshop, where participants will learn how to create something new and leave with their creation. Must pre-register.
- August 16: TBA
- October 18: Pumpkins
- December 6: Snowpeople
- February 21: 1/2 Dozen Delicious Roses
Save the date for our upcoming special events for Winter/Spring 2017. For more information (times, prices,location) please call Club 55+ or our Prime Times monthly newsletter.
Movie "Darkest Hour"
July 11 @1:00 pm
A thrilling and inspiring true story begins at the precipice of World War II as, within days of becoming Prime Minister of Great Britain, Winston Churchill (Academy Award nominee Gary Oldman) must face one of his most turbulent and defining trails: exploring a negotiated peace treaty with Nazi Germany, or standing firm to fight for the ideals, liberty and freedom of a nation. Churchill must withstand his darkest hour, rally a nation, and attempt to change the course of world history. Participants may want to bring a sweater in case the room is a bit chilly. Please register by July 8.
(113 min) PG/13 Drama/History
Activity Code: 7430.111
Wednesday, July 18 @ 2:30pm
Join us for a great afternoon of Bingo, sponsored by American House. Please register by June 19. Limited spaces available.
Activity Code: 7430.105
Tech Tips Taught by Teens
Thursday, July 19th @ 10:30am
Looking for some extra help navigating the internet or your smart phone? Join us on July 12 at the Canton library for our first ever BLOCK tech night. Teens from the BLOCK are ready to help you one-on-one with your technology questions.
You can learn to:
- Create a Facebook or Skype Account
- Create an email address
- How to navigate the internet
- How to use your smart phone
- And more!
Limited spaces available. Please sign up with Club 55+ at the desk, online or over the phone at 734/394-5485 before Thursday, July 12.
Activity Code: 7470.112
Thursday, August 2, 12-4pm
Join us as we take a guided tour of the highlights of the DIA’s permanent collection. This tour is followed by a complementary coffee and cookie reception. Includes transportation to and from the Summit. Limited space is available. Please register by July 18.
Activity Code: 7470.179
Dossin Great Lakes Museum Trip
Wednesday, August 15, 8:45am – 1:45pm
We are loading up the vans and heading down to Belle Isle to visit the Dossin Great Lakes Museum. This is the perfect setting to learn about the geographic, economic, social and cultural developments of the Detroit River and the Great Lakes waterways. Learn how the Great Lakes provide transportation routes for shipping goods and people, and the roles the Great Lakes played in the War of 1812 and World War II. Coffee, tea and pastries will be provided during the presentation. Limited space available, please register by August 1.
Activity Code: 7470.259
AARP Car Tek Class
Monday, July 23, 2-4pm
Learn about high-tech car safety features in a new workshop Smart DriverTEK? keeps drivers in the know about the latest vehicle safety technologies, and how to use them. From lane departure warnings and smart headlights to blind-spot detection systems and more, the workshop helps drivers recognize how these technologies might enhance their driving safety and extend their safe driving years. Attendees leave with a vehicle technology checklist, which will offer guidance on desired technologies when shopping for a new car, or what features may already be in their car.
Developed jointly by AARP Driver Safety and The Hartford, this 90-minute workshop offers a dynamic environment to learn how new, high-tech features in cars today can help make driving safer and easier. Limited space available. Pre-registration is required by July 16.
Activity Code: 7440.117
Solutions to Stress Related Health Problems
Wednesday, July 25, 12 – 1 pm
Solutions to Stress Related Health Problems, Stress Reduction Workshop that will be put on by Dr. Brian Brackney
Activity Code: 7440.204
Canton's Club 55+ has a well established Wii Bowling League. This group meets weekly
for some friendly competition, socialization and exercise.You can sign up as a team/individual or sub. Teams are made up of 4 participants.
- Meeting Dates: Wednesdays 10am & 11am/Thursdays 11am, 12:15pm & 1:15pm/ Fridays 10:30am
- Participation Fee: $5M/$6R/$8NR
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk 734/394-5485
- Next session starts: September 26/27
Feel free to stop by Club 55+ on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 10:00am - 11:30am for a friendly game of wii bowling. All welcome to join.
Drop in and enjoy playing the fastest growing sport in North America. Pickleball is a mixture of Tennis & Badminton and is a great source of exercise. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Indoor Courts
- Outdoor Courts (Seasonal)
- Different levels of play (Novice, Intermediate & Advance)
- Drop in & League play
- Learn to Play Clincs
- Paddle borrowing program
Looking to get moving? Tennis is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors while exercising. Drop in programs run during the Spring/Summer/early Fall for ages 55+. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Outdoor courts at two locations (Griffin and Flodin Park)
- Different levels of play ( Recreational & Competitive)
- Tennis balls
Volleyball & Walleyball
Come and enjoy a match or two of drop-in volleyball. Participants can come as an individual, pair or a group. If there is more than enough participants for a game of Volleyball, a game of Walleyball will also take place in the racquetball court and participants can rotate between the two. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- 1 indoor Volleyball court
- 1 indoor Walleyball court
- All levels of play